I came to Riga from Vilnius. Planned to stay here for 2 days, but I really liked the atmosphere there, so I stayed for 3 days more. I have chosen to travel with bus company ecolines, cause I didn’t know more of them. So, if you travel through Baltic states you can go by ecolines buses. The distance between capitals isn’t big so it is no need to flight. You can sit in the bus, use Wi-fi and after 4 hour you will be in Riga 😉
The station in Riga is very close to old town. First when I got there (Thanks God I didn’t buy a ticket to Tallinn). I loved that city so much, that I stayed here one more day.
What I’ve done in Riga:
1. I have lived here in two hostels. Riga Hostel – very sweet and small hostel. Although, not so cool as Jimmy Jump’s House in Vilnius. They have common room where was free internet, computer, coffee and TV. Very sweet. But my sleeping room was dirty. There was broken toilet, so everywhere was bad smell 😦 The hostel was in the old town, everything was not far from it.
2. The second hostel was Old Town City Hostel. It was a little more far from old town, the common room was empty bar, cold kitchen and very friendly working guy. But I didn’t liked the atmosphere there.
3. Visit Sv. Petera liuteranu baznica (St. Peters church). You can go by lift on it’s tower, where you can see the Riga’s roofs;
4. One day I went to Jurmala seaside and water park. You can go there by train, and the ticket costs about 1 LVL (2 EUR). About waterpark: http://www.akvaparks.lv/en/news/ Two water slides were really extreme – with free drops. The seaside is with sand, not a lot of people, strong wind and beautiful sunset 🙂
5. I didn’t eat anything local.
6. National Library – very huge and modern. I have never seen such big library;
7. The is one bar with a lot of foreigners. I cannot remember a name but it was in Peldu iela (Peldu street);
8. Puda Madre – it really unnusual bar. You take a shot, then everyone takes that shot. Bartenders set on fire all shots and bar and you have to drink that shot with all bar. 🙂
9. Really beautiful Old Town (House of Blackheads, Cat House, Dome Cathedral);
10. Ocupation museum – pay how much you can;
11. Art Nouveau region;
12. I liked Bastejkalns park – really peaceful here;
I really liked Riga – small and sweet city. There was a lot more to do there, but I didn’t want to hurry 🙂
Next stop Tallinn – again with ECOLINES.